AWE is dedicated to providing a harassment-free event experience for everyone regardless of gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body type, race, age, religion, or political views. Sexual language and imagery is inappropriate for any conference venue, including talks.*
*Discussion or images related to sex, pornography, discriminatory language or other sensitive material is permissible if it meets all of the following criteria:
A. AWE organizers have reviewed the material and specifically granted permission in writing
B. It is necessary to the topic of the talk and no alternative exists
C. It is presented in a respectful manner, especially towards women and LGBTQIA people
D. Attendees are warned in advance in the conference program and given ample opportunity to leave the room before the talk begins. This exception does not allow use of gratuitous sexual imagery as unnecessary examples or attention-grabbing devices.
We do not tolerate harassment of conference attendees or participants in any form. Anyone violating these rules may be sanctioned or expelled from the event without a refund at the discretion of the AWE organizers. Harassment includes but is not limited to:
– Verbal comments that reinforce social structures of domination related to gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body type, race, age, religion or political views
– Sexual images in public spaces
– Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following
– Inappropriate (non-consensual) physical contact and unwelcome sexual attention
– Harassing (non-consensual) photography or recording
– Sustained disruption of talks or other activities associated with AWE
– Advocating for or encouraging any of the above behavior
We expect attendees and participants to follow these rules throughout the duration of AWE, in all event-related spaces and activities. Individuals asked to stop harassing, disruptive or hostile behavior are expected to comply immediately. AWE organizers retain the right to take any action they deem appropriate, including warning the offender and expulsion without a refund from the conference venue, to keep AWE a welcoming and safe environment for all.
Reporting an Incident
If someone makes you or another person feel unsafe or unwelcome, please inform a staff member. AWE staff and volunteers will be clearly identifiable by their STAFF t-shirts; and AWE organizers by their badges.
This Code of Conduct has been adapted from: http://geekfeminism.wikia.com/wiki/Conference_anti-harassment/Policy
For questions or feedback, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org